Thursday, May 16, 2013

Help Me! I Can't Think Of What To Write About!

By Kristen


Do you ever get those days where you want to write a story but you just can't think of an idea?  Ever get WRITER'S BLOCK?!  IT'S A TERRIBLE DISEASE FOR AUTHORS AND PEOPLE WHO ENJOY WRITING LIKE ME.  But Don't worry because.This. Is. Normal.  So don't freak out if you are having trouble with this.  Because everyone does every once in a while :)


Here are some things you can do to fix that:

1. It's called Google.com.  No, no I'm just kidding.  This is something I do sometimes:  I pick an object, it doesn't matter what it is, just pick something.  I use that as encouragement (Omg, like in TFiOS, which Nora reviewed a while before).  I then give the object, say, an important role.  For example, a pen.  Maybe it has some magical factor to it.  Maybe it can be the key to something.  Or a letter.  It can lead a mystery, trace the person who disappeared or ran away for unknown reasons.  Then, form a story around it.

2. How about start with a main character (MC).  Think of a name.  If that's causing a problem for you because it does for me; coming up with character's names is about the hardest thing for me when it comes to writing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  What else can you do?  OhOHOH! I know! Make a graphic organizer.  Write a description about your character: physical appearance, attitude, hobbies, etc.



3.  Pick a place you like to go to like a vacation spot.  Pick a place you don't like going to.  Think of different traits you could give a place.  Maybe you can turn it into a wasteland and make that where your story takes place.  Or maybe you can just leave it as is and turn it into a Dystopian society!  Like in Divergent or Delirium or Matched.


Those are just some of many things you can do to help you come up with an idea if you have this really terrible bad terrible horrible life threatening disease aka writer's block.




-Kristen





No comments:

Post a Comment