Thursday, January 24, 2013

Inspirational Quotes from Authors

Quotes can be inspirational. I sure have some quotes that I have tucked back into my head for safekeeping. Do you have some? I suppose I'll share a few with you...if you'd like.

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
-G.K. Chesterton

Ralph Waldo Emerson
"A truly good book teaches me better than to read it. I must soon lay it down, and commence living on its hint. What I began by reading, I must finish by acting."
-Henry David Thoreau

"One must be an inventor to read well. There is creative reading as well as creative writing."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"One rainy Sunday when I was in the third grade, I picked up a book to look at the pictures and discovered that even though I did not want to, I was reading. I have been a reader ever since."
-Beverly Cleary

"My advice is this. For Christ's sake, don't write a book that is suitable for a kid of 12 years old, because the kids who read who are 12 years old are reading books for adults. I read all of the James Bond books when I was about 11, which was approximately the right time to read James Bond books."

-Terry Pratchett

"Don't tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass."
-Anton Chekhov

That last one really sticks with me. When I write, the quote plays over and over until I put my pen down (or shut my laptop down). Even though this happens, I still feel I'm not that great at writing. I'm making it my responsibility that changes. Well, enough about me. What are your favorite quotes?

No comments:

Post a Comment