Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Settings We Would Like to See More of


 Introducing...
TOP TEN TUESDAY!!
Top Ten Tuesday is a meme/feature thing created by The Broke and Bookish. At The Broke and Bookish, they give a weekly list prompt to book bloggers (generally YA, but other bloggers to it, too). They do it themselves, as well! Kristen and I will each be making a list, so some items may be the same (especially if the items are Divergent related. :)) We are so excited to be a part of this feature. You can look forward to seeing these every Tuesday! This week's theme is Top Ten Settings I'd Like To See More Of. This week, in particular, we'll each be choosing five settings. We are doing this this week because it's too hard to choose ten! Sometimes there will be ten from each of us, sometimes there will be five. Here we go!

TOP TEN TUESDAY: SETTINGS WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE OF
Kristen says...
  1. Utopian Government: Delirium.Yes, I know that half to all the Young Adult books have the genre "utopia/dystopia" but let me explain: Like in the Delirium Trilogy, love is a disease and is forbidden or you would be infected or an Invalid. To me that is the best kind of story where the Main Character (M. C.) finds a forbidden love with someone he/she shouldn't and it would cause problems in their society. They would have to risk being separated and must find each other in the end. It is the sweetest thing ever.
  2. The Moon or Some Planet: almost like Life as We Knew It, but not really. It just occurred to me that there aren't really that many books set somewhere other than earth. In my opinion, I think that people don't know much about other planets and the moon. Why not make stuff up; pick up a pen and write about it? It would be really cool to read something like this and see what this type of setting would be like.
  3. Past or Future: Pride and Prejudice and Divergent. These are always interesting. For stories set in the past, it kind of adds a twist, if you will. (And by past, I mean a long, long time ago, narrated in the present with kings and queens and stuff like that, makes a different approach). And for the future, this brings me back to the idea of Utopias and their government 
  4. Abandoned Crumbling Mansions: Part of The Unbecoming of Mara DyerO.o Haunted Mansions! This adds to the mystery and creepiness of abandoned mansions. I love mysteries. What I'd like to see here: people go into a really old, falling apart, crumbling mansion and can't come out until they pass the tests...it would be cool :D
  5. Crumbling Mansion
  6. Middle of the Woods in the Middle of Nowhere: Part of The Hunger GamesWhat would you do if you had no idea who you were and where you were? What if you were stranded in the middle of the woods with no memory of how you got there (this isn't like The Hunger Games, but it's still a good idea)?Well that's exactly what I like and they're on a quest to figure out who they are and what they're doing somewhere. This would mean survival and figuring everything on your own and trying to get out. This kind of story could add an interesting factor to books and stories and also would keep the reader's attentions the whole time.
Nora says...
  1. Creepy Circuses of Death: The Night Circus. I like circuses. I like creepy things. I like dead things (that sounded weird...). If you combine all three, I would read that book in a heartbeat. 
  2. Jails/Prisons: The Devil's Arithmetic. Jails and prisons have a certain...intriguing factor to them. I'm not 100% sure why, but I think that they form a page-turning aspect to the story. I don't know, maybe an escape story?
  3. Mazes: The Maze Runner. At first, I categorized Mazes with Jails and Prisons because people are "trapped" in a maze trying to get out. However, mazes are interesting. You never know what's around the next corner. It could be a monster, it could be the way out. Should you trust your gut? 
  4. New England: Delirium. I know, I may get enough of the New England atmosphere every day, but in books, the scenery is familiar and warming. For example, in Delirium by Lauren Oliver, the woods outside of Portland (Maine, not Oregon. Trust me, I know my geography) feel like the woods in my backyard. I just love reading about my home and places similar to those around my home, especially when I'm on a vacation. I'd I also feel as though more people will read about New England and feel that warm, cozy feeling that I do when I think about, primarily, autumn in the forest. I'd sure like to see more.
  5. Normal Places. I would like to see a YA book with a normal character, in a normal setting, with a normal problem. Just one book like this. My mom told me a fact the other day. She said that a very high percentage of the YA characters today have red hair, while only 2-6% of the world's population has it. Just one normal book is all I'm asking for. Just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment